In order to use RunSignup, your browser must accept cookies. Otherwise, you will not be able to register for races or use other functionality of the website. However, your browser doesn't appear to allow cookies by default.
If you still see this message after clicking the link, then your browser settings are likely set to not allow cookies. Please try enabling cookies. You can find instructions at https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-enable-cookies/auto.
Additional race information can be found at http://wgwltrail.com/borderbike/.
Updated 25 Sept 2021: Due to the increase in SARS-COV-2 infections, the 2021 Border Bike routes and offerings have been revamped to address:
- the safety of participants and volunteers
- the fluctuation in registered participants and restauranteurs along the routes
- road construction along the Shooting Star in MN
Changes include, but are not limited to:
- elimination of the 86 mile route (22, 40, 56 and 100 mile routes will take place in revised route form)
- two independent refreshment stations in addition to those by restauranteurs for those participants who wish to limit exposure
A multiple bike route event with a choice of:
- Two family routes (22 miles round trip, entirely on the WGWL Trail, an out-n-back)
- Intermediate Routes (40 miles, on WGWL Trail and county hard-surface roadways, an out-n-back)
- Advanced Route (56 miles, on WGWL Trail, Shooting Star Trail and county hard-surface roadways, a loop)
- A Warrior Route (86 miles, on WGWL Trail, Shooting Star Trail and county hard-surface roadways, a loop plus an out-n-back to Austin)
- A Century Route (100 miles, on WGWL Trail, Shooting Star Trail and county hard-surface roadways, a loop plus two out-n-backs)
*Physical distancing of 6+ feet is required for all non-related or non-daily contact individuals in compliance with COVID-19 precautions. The highest level of safety precautions for the municipalities and districts the ride goes through should be followed.
WGWL Northern Branch Option – Out-and-Back that starts at WGWL Trailhead to Bailey Station or IA/MN state line and returns.
WGWL Southern Branch Option – Out-and-Back that starts at WGWL Trailhead to Lylah’s Marsh or Elma and returns.
An Iowa/Minnesota Route Out-and-Back that starts at WGWL Trailhead to LeRoy, Minnesota. A combination of WGWL Trail and public roadway.
An Iowa/Minnesota Loop Route that starts and ends at WGWL Trailhead, goes to Minnesota and on the Shooting Star Trail then returns - a combination of WGWL Trail, public roadway and Shooting Star Trail.
An Iowa/Minnesota Loop Route that starts and ends at WGWL Trailhead, goes to Minnesota and on the Shooting Star Trail then does an out-n-back to Austin before returning - a combination of WGWL Trail, public roadway and Shooting Star Trail.
Century - 100 mile Route
$12 to ride*
$15 same day registration*
Event shirts for $14 are available to pre-registered riders who select during online registration prior to September 30th. No guaranteed availability to same day registrants for $15.
This is a self-supported event in regards to hydration and support vehicle. A SAG Wagon is available for riders who experience a bike breakdown or their health physical limit. Stand-alone toilets are available along the route at city parks and points-of-interest along the WGWL Trail. Listing of refreshment establishments (restaurants) and a map will be provided to pre-registered riders prior to the event and to same-day Border Bike registrants. Many establishments providing specials to officially banded Border Bike riders, like free coffee, bottled water or soda pop with a purchase of any kind, etc.
Proceeds support the existence of the Wapsi-Great Western Line – a linear park preserving the past for the future, giving active people a safe place to run, hike and bike.
See you on the trail in August!
*The WGWL Trail reserves the right to cancel the event due to situational status of the COVID Pandemic or other unforeseeable events. Riders take the responsibility for personal safety, including any infectious exposure. If canceled, online registrants will receive a full refund, minus the online service fee +$1 and taxes. Refunds are allowed until 11:59 P.M. the night prior to the event.
If you have any questions about this race, click the button below.
Please complete the following survey to help us better understand your race experience.